Sunday, June 7, 2009

May be joining the Old School thang.

At ReaperCon this year I played in a game of Swords & Wizardry that was GM'd by Steve Page, an old timer grognard kind of guy. Much simpler than my beloved Hero System, but that's not a bad thing. Pretty fun, especially when a combat comes up and it was "Who's doing what? Everybody start rolling!" 20-sided dice flying everywhere.

So I'd never really heard of the Old School thing, and started looking at some sites and forums, like the Original D&D discussion forum, Labyrinth Lord's forum and web site, and Mythmere Games, the makers of Swords & Wizardry. Lots of activity and effort put into the games by the fans, which is cool.

So after some deliberation I ordered the Labyrinth Lord hardcover and their Original Edition Characters book. (I forgot how much Lulu's shipping was. Choke!) I have some old modules from way back when, including B1- In Search of the Unkown and B2- The Keep on the Borderlands. I've seen a few modules for LL that look alright too so I might have to check them out.

Back when I played D&D it was first edition AD&D, but we used Basic and Expert modules and didn't know the difference. I'll use the Labyrinth Lord/Basic/Expert rules for this whenever we end up playing it. I looked at OSRIC but thought, nah, I played enough AD&D way back when. Let's try something a little different even though it's really the same. Huh?

I know I've done some D20 bashing in the past, but that was after being away from D&D for quite a while. I still like the freedom of Hero, and its' granularity and dramatic realism. There was something fun about that game with Steve though. Not too many options to explain to newcomers, just describe what you're trying to do and roll.The GM decides if you can do it. Different but fun.

So we'll hopefully have some fun with it. I have a bit more planned at the moment for our Avalorr campaign, which could be at a good stopping point in a bit if Mike wants to run a Turakian Age game for a while. We'll get to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment